Sunday, January 21, 2018

Update on Teen with SPD

Hello again.  For any new readers, which hopefully there are, my name is John.  I am a 17 year old, soon to be 18 in March.  I am also currently a Senior in High School, in the U.S.  That means college is right around the corner, and I do plan on continue to blog, even through college.  I was diagnosed with SPD at the age of 4, and have been living with, and learning and overcome it ever since.  I also write in a very "lax" style, so I apologize to any Grammar teachers out there :).

I do still have SPD, but however, have found myself not as bothered, as much.  I thought that meant it was going, until I realized that I was just learning to deal with, and overcome it.  So, I do believe I am in a better position to write a blog about living with SPD now, than I was almost 2 years ago.  So, from now on, I am going to ensure that my posts are either about techniques to deal and overcome SPD, Instances in which I was bothered (to bring awareness to situations that may bother others), and what can be done in life, even with SPD (nothing can hold you back).  I do still plan on aiming this blog to those with SPD (especially teens, but it can apply to anyone) and everyone else, who know, or even don't know, those with SPD (some tips and tricks can be applied to just about anyone).

I however, just wanted to make this post an update about myself, as to provide background into who is writing these, since a lot has changed in the almost 2 years.

I do still have SPD, but have learned to overcome it in most instances.  I do go to school full-time and hold a part-time job, both of which  SPD has not made impossible.  I also did accepted to my dream school, so I will probably be mentioning SPD along the College application path, and talking about college related things.  I also have some very interesting things that I have experienced and learned from, that I will be talking about.

I hope to revive this blog, and assist people throughout the world.  Sorry for the brevity of this post, I should've included it in the last one, but, I thought I could write more. However, that segwayed into the perfect point (how convenient).  I aim to make my posts as informative as they can be, which can cause a vary in length.  I just want to say that just because a post is short, like this one, won't necessarily mean it doesn't have that much info, I might have just stayed on track, and didn't tangent as much (which I sometimes tend to do), or I summarized some things down.  Likewise, if a post is long, I probably tangented, but I might not have, and even if I did, my tangents are usually related.

I also wanted to make note again that I am not a therapist or doctor, but rather a teen with SPD.  Everything I write is what I experienced, what I did, and my own personal thoughts.  If you have any questions about some tips and tricks to deal with SPD, feel free to shoot me an email or, if you'd like, in the comments (they are public, so if you want to keep private, email is perfectly fine).  I'll try to answer your questions the best I can, especially using real-life examples.  For example, someone asked me a tip on overcoming tactile sensory issues, which I had/have, and I recommended filling a little container with beans, and putting some toys in there, then having the SPDer (I like that word) put their hands in there, and getting the toys.  While I'm no doctor, I did do that as a child, and found that it helped extremely with my tactile issues. If you are looking for someone who has a gone to college for Psychology, and has SPD, check out Ms. Rachel Schneider's page at: https://www.rachel-schneider.com/
Ms. Schider has a lot of insight from both a psychological perspective, and living with SPD herself.

So until next time, I'll Sense you Later (I really need to figure out this closer).


If you have any questions or comments, shoot me an email at: teenwithspd@gmail.com
Or just leave a comment in the comments below, which ever works (comments are public).

No comments:

Post a Comment