Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Beach: Love it or Hate it

When you think of a beach, you usually think of a nice relaxing time on the sand, with the sound of the waves falling.  You probably think of peace and serenity, and a great time.  However, some, including myself, see it as a trip to Hell.   The sand, each individual rock, stone, and particle are like miniature daggers, which get all over you, and never leave.  It is like you can feel the salt in the water, and it too, is like daggers.  And lets not get started about the rocks lining the edge of the beach, and below the lowest of tides.

I, even though I can't stand it, consider myself lucky to live somewhat near the beach.  The beach does have its benefits, such as the nice winds that cool down the hot Summer days.  However, other than that, the beach isn't so wonderful.

I don't know exactly what about sand makes it so bad, but ever since I was a child I couldn't stand it, or anything similar in texture.  Even the thought of sand sent me into shivers.  In my freshmen year of high school, we were required to participate in a psycho-synthesis session.  In brief, psycho-synthesis is a meditation technique that is led by someone, that sends you to a "relaxing" place.  Of course, what is the most relaxing place? Yes, the beach.  So that day, just being placed on a beach mentally freaked me out, and pretty much ruined my day.

Fast-forward about 2 years, it was now my summer between Junior and Senior year.  I was invited to go to the beach with some friends.  Knowing I dreaded it (including my mom saying I would dread going), I did as any other typical teenager would do, go ...(obviously :) ) And it was fairly dreadful, however I learned a lot. 

That day at the beach was a lot of fun, being able to spend time with friends, however, extremely disturbing.  The sand was, as typical painful, but I was able to make it through the day, and enjoy the time.  However, (here is the main part of the post) when I got home, I began thinking on how I actually made it through the day.  So now onto the main part of this article. 

One thing that I did was keeping my towel completely cleaned off.  It might obvious to keep your towel cleaned off, but I mean completely.  I had secondary towel that I sued to wipe my feet off, that ensured i wouldn't transfer sand onto the towel.  This pretty much only works with sand discomforts, however, the premise works in for other discomforts.   Whenever I felt myself getting bothered and discomforted by the sand, I would go to the towel, which was soft, and it was relaxing.  So I recommend if you do go to a place where you know you'll be uncomfortable, bring something that you like, and keep that with you to help.

Another thing I did was try to not focus on the sand.  This is a lot easier said than done, since the thing you're trying not to focus on, is what distracts you, and makes you focus on it.  However, I found with practice (like 13 years of it) you can get better, and get distracted later than normal.  This, while difficult, if practiced, can help a lot.  Along with this is if you are with friends or family, try to talk to them, and continue the conversation as long as you can, because that in itself will help shift the attention away. 

So that was my experience with the beach, and how to overcome it.  I apologize for its abnormality, and how it jumps around, the AC in my school has a lovely, "non-distracting" buzz that is constant (non-distracting as in completely distracting).  I tried the best to stay focused, but its still difficult.

Hope y'all enjoyed, and more posts coming soon.  If you have any questions or comments, shoot me an email at teenwithspd@gmail.com  or    drop a comment below (comments are public).  Until next time, Keep Sensing.


No comments:

Post a Comment